Back to all blogs

Grass laying on Empire Mills


Gareth Thomas


14th October 2015

Reading Time

2 minutes


Early on we decided to cover the front and back of the layout, most of the actual scenery, with carpet underlay. This produced a good effect, especially with a little bit of effort. It did, however, leave us with a dilemma about the middle of the layout. We tried a few different techniques for the ground cover round the various sidings, static grass, ground foam, but these didn’t really produce the effect we wanted. There was too much contrast between the different materials and the change in colour certainly didn’t help.

Yesterday we decided to cover the problem areas with carpet underlay to match the rest of the layout. We started by removing the lift out sections from the back so that they would be easier to work on and not get glued in place.

A thick layer of pva and an oversized bit of underlay later…
Posted Image

Posted Image

Once that was in place and drying with went on to other projects. Les painted some Scale Link etched plants and applied ivy to a hedge.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Chris glued coal to our coal piles.
Posted Image

And I painted the roof of the large clay dry.
Posted Image

Before disassembling everything I posed some recently completed stock by the small dry.
Posted Image


Although Empire Mills has passed to a new owner, find out about our new EM gauge layout Orchard Wharf here, and the EM gauge layout Minories (GN) here

Leave a Reply

Thursday Track Nights

We are open on Thursday evenings from 7pm to 9pm at our Keen House clubrooms. Visitors are welcome, please come along and introduce yourself.


Keen House, 4 Calshot Street, London, N1 9DA

Become a member  

Get our newsletter

Sign up to receive all the latest updates direct to your inbox